CHILD CUSTODY OVERVIEWIf you’ve found yourself in a legal issue, our skilled legal team can handle even the most complex issues. Get the advantage for your situation, call us now to better understand your options. Our goal is to counsel you, from start to finish, so you understand the specifics of your situation and help guide you in the right direction. Call us now: 260.426.0545 CHILD CUSTODY RIGHTS Child custody issues deal with the “best interest” of the child. The Court presumes that both parents are equal in their parenting abilities. The court must determine in its discretion, what is in the “best interest” of the child taking under consideration the following factors and all other relevant factors:
- Age and sex of the child;
- The desire of each of the child’s parents;
- The wishes of the child. More consideration is given to the wishes of a child fourteen (14) years of age and older;
- The interaction and interrelationship of the child with each of the child’s parents, brothers and sisters, and any other people who may significantly affect the child’s best interest (this includes girlfriends and boyfriends);
- The adjustment of the child to his or her home, school and community (this includes the child’s friends in the neighborhood, church, etc.);
- The mental and physical health of all people involved with the child; and
- Any evidence of domestic violence by either parent.
- “Sole legal custody” grants one parent total decision making regarding the child’s religion, education and medical (non-emergency) decisions.
- “Joint legal custody” means both parents have equal rights to the decisions dealing with the child’s religion, education and medical treatment. In other words, both parents must agree to a change of schools, churches, doctors and whether non-emergency medical and dental treatment can be done. If the parents cannot agree, the court may have to make the decision. If that becomes necessary, the court usually destroys the joint custody arrangement and grants only one parent soul legal custody.
MONROEVILLE Map IT
125 East South Street
Monroeville, IN 46773
DECATUR Map IT
155 N. 2nd Street
Decatur, IN 46733